There is no such gadget but if you ask the right questions and take time to know your partner you can learn a great deal about him/her. You will not know all their thoughts but you can get to know him/her quite well.
How can you get to know your partner well?
Conversations and observation are the keys.
Spend time together in a variety of settings. Observe his/her reaction:
- In different situations (challenging and non-challenging, happy and sad, stressful and non-stressful, etc.)
- With different people (friends, family, supervisor, acquaintances, difficult ones and those that are easy to get along with)
- At different times of the day (morning, afternoon and night).
The key is to dig deeper. Ask: why, how, where, when, who, what as appropriate.
1, Ask questions to learn about his/her likes and dislikes:
* What do you do to relax? Why?
* What is your favourite colour? Why?
* Who is your favourite singer? Why?
* Which political party do you support? Why? Who is your favourite political personality in that party? Why?
2. Talk with him/her to discover those things that are important to him/her (his/her values).
* What are two things you could never live without? Why?
* If you had a fortune how would you spend it? What would be your first priority? Why not something else?
3. Discover the important people in his/her live.
* Who is the most important person in your life? Why?
* Who are some of your role models? Why?
4. Discuss his/her dreams and aspirations.
* What is your biggest dream/goal? What steps are you taking towards achieving it? (If none has been taken why?) How close are you to achieving it? What resources do you need to achieve it? How do you plan to get these resources?
In the absence of a mind reading device you may use these to help in knowing your partner better. These suggestions are not exhaustive however.
Do you have other suggestions? Post them below.